Hello, everybody! It’s Thursday in Charlotte and I’m back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Charlotte Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
First, today’s weather:
A thunderstorm around. High: 92 Low: 74.
Our local sponsor has some great stuff to offer:
Concerned about the moisture or mold problems in your crawl space or basement? HydroHelp911 can inspect your crawlspace, basement, and foundation for damages caused by moisture and mold. With many years of experience in crawl space encapsulation, basement waterproofing, and foundation repairs, HydroHelp911 is the local expert you can count on and trust. Contact them at 704-228-4433 to schedule a free inspection today!
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to get started.
Here are the top five stories in Charlotte today:
- PR Newswire) , a leading senior-focused primary care practice, has opened its 100th center to transform care of the neediest populations. According to PR Newswire, “the newest Dedicated Senior Medical Center is the first of two serving aging Charlotte residents and the first of eight opening rapidly throughout North Carolina to provide affordable VIP care that delivers better health to some 20,000 Medicare-eligible seniors statewide. ChenMed centers are universally located in underserved neighborhoods, where lack of access to high-quality primary care and other social determinants of health, have negatively impacted longevity for many years. These barriers have shortened average life spans by as much as 20 years when compared to older adults living in nearby more affluent ZIP codes.” (
- According to the city government, “city, neighborhood and business leaders gathered Wednesday to celebrate the groundbreaking of a redevelopment project aimed at revitalizing the landmark location at the former Eastland Mall site to help bring commercial amenities, jobs and housing to East Charlotte.” Crosland Southeast, a master developer, will turn 77 acres of vacant land into “a mixed-use, vibrant neighborhood center, which will increase housing affordability and provide an economic spark for East Charlotte.” (charlottenc.gov)
- Blumenthal’s new Charlotte WCCB Charlotte) . According to WCCB Charlotte, “the annual festival will celebrate local and international arts across various genres, mediums, and cultures from September 16 through October 2 in Charlotte and surrounding areas. Officials say locations from Uptown to Ballantyne will transform into a sensory playground for all ages with exceptional artists and entertainment from more than 10 countries, as well as a showcase of local international cultures and traditions.” (
- Alicia Keys kicked off her 2022 ‘The Alicia + Keys World Tour’ with a sold-out show that took take place in Charlotte! According to Music Talkers, “she returns to America with a concept inspired by her longtime friend and mentor, the legendary “Prince,” to perform intimate, once-in-a-life-time shows. In addition to an unforgettable musical performance, the North American leg of the tour featured all-new custom designed staging, lighting and costuming.” (Music Talkers)
- Did you know that Atrium Health nurses are among the top in North Carolina? According to WCNC, a major praise is in store for a handful of frontline workers at WCNC.com) The hospital network announced Wednesday that 17 of its nurses have been recognized as being among the top 100 in the state. They were nominated by their peers and represent some of the hardest working and extraordinary health care providers in North Carolina. (
Today in Charlotte:
- Charlotte Love & Hiking Date For Couples (7 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Charlotte Regional Farmers Market (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Funny Bus Comedy City Tour (3 p.m.)
- Carolinas Referral Group | Ballantyne Summer Social Networking Event at Duckworth’s Grill & Taphouse (5 to 7 p.m.)
- Signature Nights at the Brooklyn Collective (5 to 8 p.m.)
- Bluegrass JAM night – Birdsong Brewery (5:30 to 9 p.m.)
- Comedian David A. Arnold “Pace Ya-Self” Comedy Tour (6 p.m.)
- Moms and Women Caregiver’s Care Group (7 to 8 p.m.)
- Charlotte Speed Dating | Singles Event | Fancy a Go? (7 to 9 p.m.)
- Gladys Knight performance at Ovens Auditorium (7:30 p.m.)
- Crossroads Cinema (free outdoor movie series): Jurassic Park (8 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Meet the Guardians of the Globe: A school club at CMS dedicated to bettering our Earth! Major projects include gardening, cleaning, and wildlife studies with opportunities for community service hours. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools via Facebook)
- Thank you to all our sponsors and volunteers, who made this Backpacks & Basics build event possible. We packed 20,000 backpacks full of supplies, valued at $1,165,150! (Classroom Central via Facebook)
- Classroom Central is so excited to open our doors to all eligible teachers for the 2022-2023 school year! Not sure if you’re eligible? Visit classroomcentral.org to see if your school is on the list! (Classroom Central via Facebook)
- Beginning Aug. 15, the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) will adjust the frequency of several routes in its bus network and the LYNX Blue Line. The modifications are in response to an industry-wide labor shortage. (City of Charlotte Government via Facebook)
- Libraries moved beyond the era of shushing and are quickly becoming hubs for more than just books — they are centers for creativity, innovation and resources. What would you like to see in libraries of the future? (Charlotte Mecklenburg Library via Facebook)
- My granddaughter is missing. We don’t know anyone here, so I don’t know where she could have gone. If anyone sees her, please send her home or call at (904) 687-9947. (Nextdoor)
- This baby girl needs a home. She arrived at our back door a few days ago. She is playful, healthy and uses a litter box. She is weaned and gets along well with our two dogs. (Nextdoor)
- Our sweet pooch got out. Her name is Wrinkles or Rinky. She is 12 years old and loves cheese. If you have seen her, please us bring her home. (Nextdoor)
- Does anyone belong to this guy? He seems domesticated. He even knows how to use the pet door. Very sweet, but not neutered. (Nextdoor)
Alrighty, you’re all good for today! I’ll see you around.
— Alexis Goring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I’m an East Coast Girl with a pulse for people, news and feature stories! I’ve worked as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I’m also a published author, experienced blogger, and founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here’s the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Charlotte Daily? Contact me at email@example.com