Good morning, everybody! It’s Wednesday in Charlotte and I’m back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town. Without further ado…
First, today’s weather:
Humid; heavy p.m. t-storms. High: 86 Low: 70.
Here are the top four stories today in Charlotte:
- Ada Limón, a creative writing instructor for Queens University of Charlotte, has been named the 24th Poet Laureate of the U.S. by the Library of Congress. According to WBTV, “Limón will begin the position in the fall for the library’s 2022-2023 literary season on Sept. 29 with a reading of her work in the Library of Congress Coolidge Auditorium in Washington, DC. “The Carrying,” one of six books of poetry Limón has written, won the National Book Critics Circle Award for poetry and was named one of the top five poetry books of the year by the Washington Post.” (WBTV)
- U.S. District Judge Kenneth D. Bell recently sentenced two men to prison for the 2020 armed robbery of a convenience store in Charlotte. According to the Department of Justice, “Brandon Antoine Martin, 24, of Charlotte, was ordered to serve 132 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release. Rodrick Lovette Tillman, 29, also of Charlotte, was sentenced to 114 months in prison and five years of supervised release. Following the robbery of the convenience store, Tillman and Martin were involved in a shooting incident at another location in Charlotte.” (Department of Justice)
- Franchising.com) , the Midwest-based drive-thru coffee franchise, is bringing its world-class drive-thru coffee locations to Matthews, Weddington and Ballantyne in North Carolina. According to Franchising.com, “the company also recently added depth to its profile with a line of organic hot and iced teas, single-origin coffee and Cold Brew & Cream. The expansion into the suburbs south of Charlotte is the result of a five-unit franchise agreement signed by business partners Jason Houseman and Gregg Turkovich.”(
- Midnight Diner of Charlotte was named “Best & Most Iconic Diner in North Carolina.” Reader’s Digest investigated customer ratings, TripAdvisor scores, and word-of-mouth to find the best spot and decided it was Midnight Diner. According to Kiss 95.1, “Midnight Diner is always packed with people enjoying some of the best diner food around. Midnight Diner is the true definition of comfort food and if you don’t believe this list then check out the line outside the building on any given night during the weekends.” (kiss951.com)
From our sponsor:
- Charlotte Regional Farmers Market (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Latin Music & Art: Bravo Summer at Mint Museum Uptown (6:30 to 8:30 p.m.)
- Ballantyne Women In Power Networking & Mastermind Roundtable at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill (6:30 to 8:00 p.m.)
- Pauly Shore performance at The Comedy Zone (7 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Our Artistic Director Alejandro Cerrudo has choreographed more than 25 works for professional dance companies around the world! (Charlotte Ballet via Facebook)
- Assistant District Attorney Gardner had a great time speaking with students at the mock trial summer camp hosted by Central Piedmont Community College. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg District Attorney’s Office via Facebook)
- We’re excited to celebrate National #SummerLearningWeek this week. Summer programming is needed now more than ever to combat summer learning loss and to bridge the achievement gap. (Charlotte Freedom School Partners via Facebook)
- I have lost my sweet fur baby in Claiborne Woods. Her name is Harper. She is chipped and friendly! She was lost at the intersection of Trotter Road and Morgan Run Court. (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- SAT Master Strategies In-Person Class (July 17)
- Top 10 Divorce Mistakes and How to Avoid Them – Vesta’s Charlotte, NC Hub (July 20)
- Add your event
That’s it for today. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Alexis Goring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I’m an East Coast Girl with a pulse for people, news and feature stories! I’ve worked as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I’m also a published author, experienced blogger, and founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here’s the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Charlotte Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org