Hello, hello! It’s me, Alexis Goring, your host of the Charlotte Daily. Follow along for everything you need to know about what’s happening around town.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Charlotte Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and beautiful. High: 86 Low: 64.
Here are the top five stories in Charlotte today:
- With 22 years of experience at CMS, we are proud to announce that Orlando Robinson has been named principal of West Charlotte High School. Congratulations! (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools via Facebook)
- Fee waived adoptions (with monetary donation) continues during NBC’s #ClearTheShelters. Seniors can adopt for free and receive a free supply of flea/tick/heartworm prevention thanks to Pets for the Elderly. (CMPD Animal Care and Control via Facebook)
- We are in DESPERATE need of newspapers! They can be dropped off any time at 8315 Byrum Drive. (CMPD Animal Care and Control via Facebook)
- We’re 10 days away from the Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade taking place Aug. 20-21! Get all of the event details: https://charlottepride.org. (Charlotte Pride via Facebook)
- A social media challenge is drastically increasing the amount of stolen vehicles across the country. CMPD is providing extra patrols to combat this problem. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department via Facebook)
- We have several career fields at Charlotte Fire. Right now, we have positions available in the Fire Marshal’s office and with our Communications team. Apply here: http://ow.ly/QOV150KijCY (Charlotte Fire Department, Charlotte NC via Facebook)
- At the CMS Athletics Leadership Symposium, coaches networked, trained and learned to support and engage the whole student-athlete. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools via Facebook)
- Indications are that the LYNX Red Line could be poised for a renewed push, Lake Norman Citizen reports. “I think we’re closer than we have been for a long time,” Sustain Charlotte founder Shannon Binns said. (Sustain Charlotte via Facebook)
- This announcement from Optimist Hall is the talk of the town right now. Our take: We hope this encourages more people to take advantage of transit, walking, or biking to this popular food hall — and other locations in Charlotte. (Sustain Charlotte via Facebook)
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library wishes you a Happy National Book Lovers Day! Looking for a great way to celebrate? Put away your smartphones, find a cozy spot, and read the day away with this list of titles chosen by a true bibliophile! (Charlotte Mecklenburg Library via Facebook)
- Did you know that you can register your pet with Petco Love Lost? They help reunite pets with their owners with just one click. Register your pets today! https://lost.petcolove.org/ (CMPD Animal Care and Control via Facebook)
- Katie has been working with Education this summer and is a rockstar in all she does. She’ll be back with Front of House and finishing her first EP! (Children’s Theatre of Charlotte via Facebook)
- Kittens looking for a home. I need them out by next week. (Nextdoor)
- Need a puppy play date for my dog Louie. He’s a 4-month-old golden retriever. He needs a friend in the area to run around and wrestle with so he will stop trying to wrestle me! Let me know if anyone has a similar sized/aged pup. (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Thanks for following along and staying informed! See you all tomorrow for your next update.
— Alexis Goring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I’m an East Coast Girl with a pulse for people, news and feature stories! I’ve worked as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I’m also a published author, experienced blogger, and founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here’s the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Charlotte Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org